Remodeling a kitchen is an exciting time! Organizing your project is where it all begins. You have a picture in your mind of how you want your new space to look and now it’s time to decide how to make that dream a reality. It’s likely that these 3 questions are at the top of your list:
- Do I need to hire someone?
- If so, who should I hire?
- Can I do any of the work myself?
DIY home renovation tutorials are flooding YouTube as we speak. They are informative and fun to watch, but sometimes these videos can give people a false sense of security when it comes to the more complicated parts of a remodel. In the kitchen, one of the most complex, and underestimated, parts of a project is the plumbing. Even if you are not relocating pipes, there are intricacies involved that a video may not cover. It’s important to remember that the people making these videos are not first-timers. They may not be professional plumbers, but they are certainly not performing the repair/installation for the first time.
If you were to look at a general schematic of your kitchen’s plumbing system, you may think, at first glance, that it looks doable. However, when you really dig into the details, you’ll find that it’s not as simple as it may look. Due to the influx of DIY popularity, plumbers spend a good amount of time fixing major, albeit innocent, mistakes that homeowners make while trying to be their own plumber.
While there are many things you will be able to do yourself, the plumbing really should not be one of them. The stakes are too high. A plumbing mistake can put your project back weeks, sometimes months, depending on the severity of the blunder. Here are some reasons why, when it comes to the plumbing, it’s best to leave it to the professionals:
- You may be working around an existing problem that you are not aware of. Not repairing an existing issue can cause delays and cost money.
- Pipes that are not installed correctly can cause serious damage to the home’s entire plumbing system.
- You want to avoid any violation of your building permit. For the health and safety of residents, these permits often limit what can and should be done when altering the plumbing.
- Proper plumbing work will ensure nothing is leaking into your beautiful new cabinets.
You want to make sure you are choosing the sink, dishwasher, refrigerator etc… that will work with the overall vision of your project.
While remodeling your kitchen is sure to be extremely rewarding, it is also sure to come with a certain amount of inherent frustrations. Thorough planning will help to reduce the frustrations that come along with any home remodeling project. This planning includes knowing when to call the experts. 1 Call Plumbing would be honored to help you complete your dream project! Contact us today to discuss your renovation plans with one of our plumbing professionals.